Under general supervision of the Public Works Supervisor, the Public Works Laborer performs general maintenance, repairs, and installations at City properties and facilities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
This information is intended to be descriptive of the principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
1. Maintain grounds by picking up debris, trimming trees, mowing grass, and heavy equipment operations.
2. Maintain facilities by performing minor carpentry work, painting, replacing light bulbs, and minor plumbing repairs.
3. Monthly meter reading, residential and commercial.
4. Limited electrical line maintenance.
5. Replacing security lights.
6. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Duties are generally performed citywide in both outdoor and indoor settings. This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of fifty (50) pounds of force occasionally, up to twenty (20) pounds of force frequently, and up to ten (10) pounds of force constantly to move, lift and push objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, pushing and pulling. This position is subject to outside environmental conditions, including extreme cold, extreme heat, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
Education, Certification and Experience Required:
• Possession of a High School Diploma or equivalent
• Possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to work an irregular work schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays
• Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance
• Knowledge of general maintenance and repair techniques for common tools and equipment used in general parks and landscaping maintenance and repair work; and their basic safety precautions and procedures.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of assigned light equipment, power and hand tools.
• Skill in following oral and written communication and directions
• Skill in operating assigned equipment, tools, and vehicles
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to follow City policies and procedures